Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Monday night kickoff

Still on the quest to become the ultimate housewife, I decided to try my hand at an old recipe last night- Cornflake Crusted Chicken.
My grandmother used to make this and I remember it was really good, but she cooked the whole thing in oil.
I have been trying to cook healthier as we have a little one on the way, so I wanted to find something that would taste just as good, but eliminate the extra calories.
I found several recipes, but decided to make my own version.
I made this just for two ( well two and a half:)

Here is what i did, and it turned out pretty well!

2 large chicken breasts- trimmed of all skin and fat
Buttermilk
1 cup cornflakes crushed
1/4 tsp each salt, black pepper, paprika, poultry seasoning and garlic powder

Soak chicken breasts in buttermilk for about 20 minutes- I simply poured it over the chicken till barley covered.
Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on the breasts and turn then over and repeat salt and pepper.
Place cornflakes in a plastic baggie and crush, then open up the bag and throw in your seasonings. Shake well. Then pour your mixture into a shallow bowl.
Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and place chicken in crumbs. Flip chicken to coat both sides.
Place your pieces on baking sheet in over at 400 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes ( depending on how our oven cooks)

This is really tasty, relatively low calorie and super crunchy. I served it with garlic mashed potatoes and corn. I know, I know starch and starch, but it was yummy:)

Coming soon- Our mac and Cheese off!!! We are hosting a party this coming Sunday for our small group and folks are bringing their own version of Mac & Cheese to be tasted and judged- I'll post my entry into the competition a little later this week. For now, I have to start cleaning. Who knew to people and two furry kids could make house so messy!

1 comment:

Epp Family said...

deffinately going to try this one when I have a kitchen back in order.