Friday, April 9, 2010

Lessons from the stay at home mom in training:)

Ok, so I normally am a proponent of meat. I love it, beef, chicken, turkey, fish you name it, I'll eat it. Well, except for liver. I won't touch that. However, I digress.
For lunch today I made a veggie wrap to kind of mimic one that Ihave had at one of my favorite restaurants in Dallas, Breadwinners.
Warm veggies mixed with a little cool lettuce, avocado, jack cheese and creamy hummus. I must admit, it turned out pretty good.
SO, I decided to share with everyone.

Again, I am lacking pictures, I need to work on that!

Some of the ingredients might sound a little strange, but trust me, it is reallllly good. I almost made another one as soon as I finished the first one!
I doubled the recipe here so you can make it for you and another person:)

You will need:
1 red pepper, cut in thin strips
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup button mushrooms sliced ( I used the ones from a jar, but you can use fresh- they will just take longer to saute)
hummus
slices of avocado
lettuce
jack cheese shredded
kosher salt
olive oil
black pepper
flour tortillas (get the bigger ones, they are easier to roll)

Here's what you do!
Get out your favorite saute pan and saute the red pepper strips first in about a tablespoon of olive oil, throw in a pinch of kosher salt and saute for about 4 minutes, then throw in your onions and mushrooms. You might need a tad bit more olive oil just to make sure these don't stick. Use another pinch of the salt and use a bit of fresh ground pepper. Saute until onions are nice and caramelized and the mushrooms have cooked down. It should take a few minutes.

While your hot veggies are doing their thing, take a tortilla and spread a couple teaspoons of hummus all over it- this will act as the "glue" that holds the wrap together.Then, grab a couple lettuce leaves and place on 1/4 of the tortilla. Next to the lettuce put a couple slices of avocado, then grab some of your hot veggies and layer next to the avocado, throw a couple pinches of the shredded jack on the hot veggies and roll! Make sure to tuck in the sides as the veggies kinda like to slip out. I cut mine in half so it would be easier to eat, and I wanted to see what it looked like all rolled up, but you can do what you like:)
If you want you can dip in a little salsa, but my preggy tummy isn't handling spice so well these days.

This is crazy delicious and if you are trying get more veggies in your diet, this would be one way to do it.

Next time, something with meat, I promise.

No comments: